WHAT YOU NEED TO GET YOUR COMMERCIAL LEARNER'S PERMIT
Study Study Study
WHAT IS A COMMERCIAL LEARNER’S PERMIT?
A CLP, otherwise known as a commercial learner’s permit, is similar to other driver’s permits. Once you have obtained it, you can begin truck driver training with experienced instructors. After you’ve completed your training, you can then take the necessary steps to acquire your CDL, which allows you to begin driving on your own.
- The info below will help guide you through the process of getting your permit.
Effective February 7, 2022
Certain drivers are subject to ELDT requirements, CFR 49 380 Subpart F, and must complete training mandated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). This includes those applying to:
The ELDT regulations are not retroactive and do not apply to individuals holding a valid CDL or an S, P, or H endorsement issued prior to February 7, 2022.
If an applicant who obtains a CLP prior to February 7, 2022, obtains a CDL before the CLP or renewed CLP expires, the applicant is not subject to the ELDT requirements. If a CDL is not obtained prior to the expiration of the CLP, the applicant is subject to the ELDT requirements.
Any individual who meets one of the exception for taking a skills test in 49 CFR Part 383 is also exempt from the ELDT requirements.
Study for these sections:
- Texas Commercial Rules
- General Knowledge
- Combination (Class A Only)
- Air Brake (If applicable)
- Section 1: Introduction
- Section 2: Drive Safely
- Section 3: Cargo
- Section 5: Air Brakes
- Section 6: Combination Vehicles
- Section 12: Vehicle Control
- Section 13: Road Driving
- Section 14: Special Requirements
Utilize online study guides and practice tests to help you study. Here are a few resources we would recommend:
These are popular apps drivers use to study for the written permit exam:
- Go to your local DMV/DPS to take the Class A CDL Learner’s Permit.
- Fill out a medical certification form at the DMV/DPS that says “Non-Excepted Interstate”.
- Now you are able to start behind the wheel training.